Thursday 2 September, 7.30pm
184 days from now
Presented by the Australian Chamber Orchestra
The meditative nature of music helps us repair and renew by heightening our awareness, invigorating our senses and revealing the truth of our feelings. That is at the heart of Pēteris Vasks’ Vox amoris which is a journey through love and the full range of human expression.
Just as Vox amoris explores the depth of human experience, this concert examines our emotions and the fragility of mental health. Drawing from the experience of two friends dealing with difficult personal periods, Iain Grandage’s Black Dogs confronts uncertainty and darkness, before building into an almost funk-like affirmation of survival. Black Dogs features guitarist Slava Grigoryan who will also perform Albéniz’s famous Asturias in a special arrangement for guitar and string orchestra, before Pink Floyd’s Shine On You Crazy Diamond returns us to the delicate balance between inner and outer health, and the trust in light emerging from darkness.
- HAAS (arr. Tognetti) String Quartet No.2, Op.7 “From the Monkey Mountains”: IV. A Wild Night
- FELDMAN Rothko Chapel: 5th Movement
- PINK FLOYD (arr. Tognetti) Shine On You Crazy Diamond
- ALBÉNIZ (arr. guitar & strings) Asturias (Leyenda)
- HAAS (arr. Tognetti) String Quartet No.2, Op.7 “From the Monkey Mountains”: III. The Moon and I
- ANNA THORVALDSDOTTIR Illumine
- IAIN GRANDAGE Black Dogs
- PēTERIS VASKS Vox amoris
- Richard Tognetti – Director
- Slava Grigoryan – Guitar
- Australian Chamber Orchestra